Saturday, June 13, 2009

Out of the Chinese Yonder

Rockin' the Indiana Jones at a Mountain Pass
Hello again from Hong Kong everyone! I hope that this newsletter finds you all in good health and in good spirits! I have recently returned from my Outreach in the Chinese speaking world. The last 8 weeks have been an incredible experience of evangelism, prayer walking and travel. I had the opportunity to visit 10 different cities and through my team’s preaching of the Gospel we saw 38 people come to know Jesus! Hallelujah! As for what comes next, I know I said I was thinking about joining a Far East Evangelism Team, but in prayer one day God gave me a clear “No” about doing it. I want to apologize to those of you supporting me for how I’ve jumped from thing to thing regarding what comes next, but please know that I am truly seeking Jesus on what to do next. It was not until I arrived back in Hong Kong that God told me what to do next, when two of my schoolmates at our DTS Graduation suggested the School of Frontier Missions (SOFM) and that same day the Base Director of YWAM Hong Kong invited me to join the school. So it has become clear to me that SOFM is God’s will for me, and I’m jumping right in on June 24!
I was doing evangelism work at a university with my leader Harold and we were finding it difficult to start a conversation with anyone. No one wanted to talk to us for over an hour! But as we got more and more discouraged, God spoke to us about faithfulness and we just continued pressing into Him. As we were praying, we see two girls sitting in a park taking pictures of each other, and we offered to take a picture of them together, which lead us into small talk. The girls didn’t speak much English, so I had a chance to pray while Harold spoke in Chinese. God told me right away that we should share the Gospel with these girls, so I told Harold to go for it. As I continued praying, God told me to pray for three things: An anointing on Harold’s words, openness in the girls’ hearts and for no distractions. So I prayed for only those things for 25 minutes, when suddenly the girls were ready to accept Jesus into their hearts. They even heard His voice for the first time right there, and we gave them each a Bible. So not only did God teach me about remaining faithful to Him, He also taught me about how to pray while I am ministering, and he topped it all off with some salvations!

Our first two weeks of Outreach were spent at a Cultural Exchange learning about the Chinese culture and spending time with the students at a university. My ministry partner during the time was my schoolmate Josh, and we’d befriended a guy about our age named Joe really quickly, and spent most of our time with him. He was a great guy, but a little bit shy and so it took us about a week before we could truly start to share the Gospel with him and teach him about Jesus. After the first week, Josh and I both felt that we were supposed to share our testimonies with him, and in doing that, Joe opened up much more. He shared with us that his girlfriend had recently broken up with him, and that he’d been considering suicide. Well, we reacted very quickly to that and took him to a quiet place to tell him all about Jesus and how He can heal our hurts. We left for our team time after that, and through out the day’s report back and Worship time, Josh and I both felt like we were supposed to meet with Joe again, so we called him and had supper with him. We asked him what he thought about Jesus, and Joe said he wanted to accept Him into his heart. But the spiritual warfare was intense! As we left for somewhere quiet to pray, a Buddhist chant was played over the university’s speakers and it lasted all night, and then approximately 200 students walked into the same place we were praying! But Joe pressed in anyway; He wanted the Father’s love so much! And then he heard God speak, and brought Jesus into his life and into his heart! He said God told him that now healing could come into his heart. Amen.

My Outreach Team

No comments: